As ViceChairman, Doug helps to manage and support many of the Firm’s most significant clients. He helps to oversee major projects so as to ensure that all appropriate resources are dedicated to addressing the client’s needs and to provide clear communication and reporting. He also is helping lead the Firm’s efforts in developing new and expanded client relationships.
Doug’s more than 30 years of experience has been focused primarily on buying and selling privately-held and publicly-traded companies, working closely with the private equity and investment banking community in those endeavors. In addition to his experience with hundreds of business transactions, Doug helps clients with public disclosures, securities filings, and Securities Act and Exchange Act compliance work. Additionally, Doug counsels clients on corporate governance matters, as well as Sarbanes-Oxley Act and listing standards issues. He handles equity and debt private placements, including the necessary securities law compliance. Doug is very active with private equity transactions and helps clients in negotiating and consummating venture capital financings. He has represented numerous private equity, venture capital and mezzanine financing sources in making their investments, dealing regularly with issues of valuation, governance, management and exit strategies.
Having served as secretary of Invacare Corporation (NYSE), Doug also is on the board of directors or serves as secretary of several privately-held corporations and foundations in the Greater Cleveland area. He has been a multi-year Team Captain for the United Way Campaigns, is on the board and executive committee of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission (and chairs the Governance/Nominating Committee), was a long-time board and executive committee member of United Cerebral Palsy, and on the junior board of the American Cancer Society’s Cuyahoga County Unit.
Doug has been named in Ohio Super Lawyers for over 15 years based on a survey of Ohio lawyers; has long been recognized in Chambers USA’s Corporate/M&A rankings; is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell and has been designated as a Cleveland “Best Lawyer” in several categories, including back-to-back designations as Corporate Governance “Lawyer of the Year” for 2015 and 2014. He also is listed as one of The Best Lawyers in America for corporate and securities law. A frequent lecturer at corporate and securities law seminars, Doug is also a member of the American, Ohio and Cleveland Bar Associations, having served on the Corporate and Securities Law Sections.
Calfee’s Corporate and M&A practice has consistently been recognized by Chambers & Partners as one of the top groups in Ohio. After speaking with some of the Calfee clients, the Chambers USA Guide published the following about Calfee’s Corporate and M&A professionals: “Very efficient, practical and business-oriented in their approach” (2015); “We would not have the success we have had without them being side by side” (2015); “They can cut through fairly complicated issues and drill it down to what is really important from a business perspective to help guide us to the right solution” (2014). Calfee clients also were asked about Doug himself. He is characterized by clients as “one of the leading practitioners in Cleveland” who is “very thoughtful and a good sounding board, so you can discuss a variety of corporate issues with him and gain a better insight and appreciation of the issues by the end.”
Doug joined Calfee in 1985 and became a partner in 1993. He has served as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee since 2002 and as a member of the Management Committee since 2009.
Doug’s considerable experience involves well over 150 transactions. His representative transactions include having represented the following public and privately held companies:
- Invacare Corporation (NYSE:IVC), the $1.8 billion leading manufacturer of durable medical equipment. Oversaw Invacare’s approximately $227 million acquisition of Domus GmbH (a German holding company and three operating companies); the $132 million acquisition of a Massachusetts-based public company via a merger agreement with intervening tender offer to accelerate closing; acquiring dozens of smaller, privately-held companies representing important product line acquisitions or geographic expansions; numerous selective divestitures of non-core operations, including the recent $150 million sale of Invacare Supply Group (where the buyer was in the process of being sold to a Fortune 100 competitor).
- Ferro Corporation (NYSE:FOE), a $2.4 billion leading global supplier of technology-based materials for manufacturers. Oversaw the auction process and ultimate sale of the assets of the fine chemicals business (division) for $60 million in cash to a private equity buyer. Assisted Ferro in the purchase of a grinding and fabrication fluids business for brittle materials from a private equity seller. Assisted in the sale of a product line and manufacturing location out of the industrial ceramics business of Ferro.
- Park-Ohio Holdings (NASDAQ:PKOH), an industrial supply chain logistics and diversified manufacturing business. Led the acquisition of all of the capital stock of NABS, Inc., a premier international supply chain manager of production components, for $21 million from the founding family. Assisted Park-Ohio with the purchase of significant forging-related assets from Amcast Industrial Corporation and in establishing a joint venture and long-term supply arrangement with a strategic foreign industrial partner.
- Cornerstone Industrial Group, private equity fund. Acted as lead counsel to this private equity fund in connection with its buy-out and financing for the acquisition of a Wisconsin-based custom machine parts manufacturer and for the acquisition of an Ohio-based, high-quality refractory product manufacturer.
- PNC Erieview Capital (formerly National City Equity Partners), one of the top ten bank-owned private equity and mezzanine finance groups with over $1 billion in capital under management. Have assisted this client in dozens of equity and mezzanine financing transactions for leveraged buy-outs by various high-performing private equity sponsor groups. Associated work for PNC Erieview includes initial capital structure and investment work, recapitalizations, refinancings, amendments and waivers and various exit strategies and arrangements.
- American Greetings Corporation, a $1.7 billion leading manufacturer and retailer of innovative social expression products. Helped oversee American Greetings’ strategic alliance with Amscan, Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of party goods. The transaction entailed American Greetings selling various assets to Amscan and entering into a long-term sourcing arrangement and also a related warrant agreement. Assisted American Greetings with the acquisition of the on-line assets of the WebShots brand (one of the largest on-line photo and video-sharing sites on the Internet) from CNET Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ:CNET) for a purchase price of approximately $45 million. Assisted with the intellectual property and integration work for a related company acquired by American Greetings, Photo Works, Inc. Helped oversee the sale by American Greetings of its candle product lines to Lighthouse Candles, LLC.
- Bridge Industries, LLC, Ohio-based private equity firm. Acted as primary counsel in connection with its simultaneous acquisition and combination of two privately-held oil and gas equipment suppliers. After their integration and growth, assisted Bridge in the subsequent divestiture of majority ownership to a larger private equity firm less than two years later, generating a substantial return. Also assisted in the acquisitions of two other platform “control” investments, as well as the addition of a sizeable add-on business in 2014 for one of the platforms.
- Americhem Inc., a global provider of color and additive and engineered compound solutions for the polymer industry, in several acquisitions, including Infinity Compounding and LTL Color Compounding. Most recently, assisted with its acquisition of Vi-Chem Corporation, a leading compounder of specialty engineered resins used in injection molding, extrusion and blow molding applications based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which has now created an enterprise with almost $300 million in annual revenue.
- Corporate and Capital Markets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Private Equity
- Health Care
- Board Counseling and Public Mergers & Acquisitions
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1985
- University of Michigan, B.A., James B. Angell Scholar, 1982
- State of Ohio