Calfee’s litigation practice is founded on the recognition that litigation must serve business objectives—not the other way around. Our litigation attorneys recognize clients’ objectives in developing strategies to resolve business conflicts through the traditional legal process or alternative methods of dispute resolution.
- Construction arbitration and litigation
- Real property ownership insurance and transfer litigation
- Complex commercial foreclosures and receiverships
- General Services Administration lease administration and litigation
- Represented owners, architects, engineers, project managers and general contractor in successful defense of a variety of claims in litigation and arbitrations involving major urban office, highway, sewer and water treatment plant projects.
- Represented subcontractors in multiple arbitrations, mechanic’s lien actions and a foreclosure suit involving a large downtown Cleveland retail expansion.
- Represented international engineering and construction firm involved in litigation with joint venture partner, insurer and project owner over design and construction of coke oven.
- Represented mortgagee-lenders and owners in prosecution and defense of major foreclosure proceedings involving a wide variety of large commercial structures, including office buildings, hotels and manufacturing facilities.
- Served as AAA, ICC, and ICDR arbitrator in domestic and international construction and infrastructure disputes.
- Represented multiple lenders in complex foreclosure of hotel property involving related bankruptcy and counterclaims alleging lender liability.
- Represented court-appointed receivers in management of large suburban office properties in foreclosure.
- Represented subcontractor in mechanic’s lien foreclosure action and successful resolution of claims involving construction of a skyscraper in downtown Chicago.
- Successfully represented a real estate management company in litigation against the United States involving the award of a General Services Administration (“GSA”) lease.
- Represented municipalities in defense of claims for delay and additional work in multi-million dollar sewer and water improvement projects.
- Represented school district in defense of claims by non-performing contractor in asbestos abatement project.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of damage claim arising from alleged defective design and construction of curtain wall on 67-story office tower.