Todd provides counsel to publicly-traded and closely-held companies regarding compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the National Labor Relations Act, Equal Employment Opportunity laws, federal wage and hour laws, and other state and federal laws. He represents employers in labor contract negotiations, labor disputes and grievance arbitrations. Todd works closely with clients regarding employee discipline and discharge decisions and to develop employee handbooks and personnel policies, including drug testing, workplace harassment and disciplinary policies.
He is routinely selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers List, most recently in 2018 for Employment & Labor law.
Todd also serves as counselor to Calfee’s management on the Firm’s employment matters. In that role, Todd gains a unique perspective on the operational and business ramifications of advice on employment issues.
He is an active member of the American Bar Association’s Labor & Employment Law Section, along with the Ohio Management Lawyers’ Association. He has served on the boards of local charities, a private club, and his church.
Todd joined Calfee in 1995 and became a partner in 2000.
Traditional Labor Law
- Represented employer with a newly certified union through negotiations for an initial collective bargaining agreement and subsequent withdrawal of recognition of the union, restoring the employer to union-free status.
- Represented employer through union election petition and subsequent campaign leading up to a National Labor Relations Board-supervised secret ballot election, in which union failed to procure a majority of votes cast.
- Represented employers through numerous grievance arbitration proceedings resulting in decisions upholding employee discharges, suspensions, other forms of discipline and contract interpretation.
- Served as lead negotiator for numerous employers in negotiation of more than 20 collective bargaining agreements.
- Attained summary judgment on behalf of employer in case alleging age and disability discrimination stemming from reductions-in-force implemented during the 2009 recession and its aftermath.
- Attained summary judgment on behalf of employers in cases alleging age, race, sex, pregnancy and disability discrimination.
- Attained summary judgment on behalf of employer in cases alleging retaliation for engaging in protected activity.
- Represent employers in numerous cases seeking to enforce noncompetition covenants and other types of post-employment covenants, and seeking to protect trade secrets.
- Routinely advise employers on strategy for discharge or discipline of protected class employees, including measures to reduce legal risks attendant to same.
- Design separation agreements and separation packages with releases of claims, including, where necessary, compliance with mandates of Older Workers Benefit Protection Act.
- Routinely advise employers on management of employees with disabilities, to include determination of nature and extent of disability, impact on ability to perform essential functions of the job, potential accommodations and the interactive process.
- Routinely advise employers regarding management of employees utilizing leaves of absence under the Family & Medical Leave Act and other applicable laws and employer leave policies, to ensure employers comply with applicable legal requirements but also take advantage of employer rights and measures to combat abuse.
- Prepare, review and revise employee handbooks and numerous types of employer policies, including employment at-will and contract disclaimers, sexual harassment, Family & Medical Leave Act and other leaves of absence, social media, electronic communications and non-solicitation.
- Labor and Employment
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Health Care
- The Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., 1990
- Miami University, B.A., 1987
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts (Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court