Tom has appeared in federal and state courts on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants involving claims for personal injury, wrongful death, intentional tort and other tort causes of action. He also has represented clients in cases involving products liability, medical and legal malpractice, life insurance claims, commercial contract disputes and commercial real estate litigation claims. Tom has counseled premises owners and manufacturer clients on the selection, content and location of necessary and appropriate warnings. He has also assisted manufacturer clients in complying with product labeling requirements as well as code and regulation compliance. Tom works closely with utility companies, builders, insurance companies and other publicly and privately-held corporations in negotiating their business disputes.
He has been named a “Local Litigation Star” for 2016 and 2018 by Benchmark Litigation in the areas of General Commercial, Insurance, Product Liability and Real Estate.
Prior to his law career, Tom handled corporate investigations for Research Associates, Inc. He uses his extensive investigative experience to investigate claims — reviews the circumstances that gave rise to an incident and recommends policy changes to prevent or defend against future claims. Tom also has conducted fraud investigations for the boards of directors of manufacturing clients.
Involved in the community, Tom has coached varsity football at Cathedral Latin High School and coached many other CYO and youth sports teams. He is the former Chairman of the Lake Catholic High School Parent Advisory Board, is a former Trustee for the Lake Hospital Foundation and a member of the Lakeland County College Paralegal Advisory Committee.
Tom joined Calfee in 1988 and became a partner with the firm in 1998. He has been named a 2016 "Local Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation.
Tom’s extensive experience includes the following:
- Was the lead attorney representing the prevailing utility in a personal injury action from trial through the decision by The Ohio Supreme Court – Link v. FirstEnergy, 147 Ohio St. 3d, 2016-Ohio-5083
- Was the lead attorney representing the prevailing utility in a wrongful death action from trial through the decision by The Ohio Supreme Court – Turner v. Ohio Bell Tel. Co., 118 Ohio St. 3d 215, 2008-Ohio-2010
- Was the lead attorney representing a utility from trial through the decision by The Ohio Supreme Court in Allstate Ins. Co. v. Cleveland Elec. Illum. Co., 119 Ohio St. 3d 301, 2008-Ohio-3917
- Was the lead attorney for the prevailing property management holding company in a case in The Ohio Supreme Court – State, ex rel. The K&D Group, Inc. v. Buehrer, 135 Ohio St. 3d 257, 2013-Ohio-734
- Was the lead plaintiff’s attorney in a case in which the jury awarded the largest plaintiff verdict in the State of Ohio in 2002 in a wrongful death automobile accident case – Lori Austin, Adm. of the Estate of Craig Austin v. Scott G. Leiendecker, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Case No. CV-01-443864
- Was the lead attorney for the prevailing police officer in a reported Federal Court excessive force case – Wallace v. City of Shelby, 968 F. Supp. 1204 (1997)
- Tort, Accident and Products Liability Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Insurance Recovery
- Business, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Warnings, Labeling and Products Regulation
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1988
- Central Missouri State University, B.S., 1977
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court (Northern District of Ohio)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit