Steve regularly advises clients on:
- General design and compliance issues for qualified retirement plans, non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements and health plans
- Fiduciary responsibilities for administering benefit plans and investing plan assets
- Employee benefits issues that arise in connection with mergers and acquisitions
- Executive compensation arrangements and related requirements under the securities laws
- Governmental and church retirement and health plans
Steve is recognized as one of "America’s Leading Lawyers" in Chambers USA 2017 for Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation and as a “Rising Star” by Ohio Super Lawyers.
Steve is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and serves as Chair of its Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts committee, through which he provides pro bono legal services to members of the local arts community and frequently presents to artists and students on legal issues affecting artists. He is also President and Chairman of the Board of Directors for Encore Chamber Music Institute. Steve is also on the Board of Directors of the Swedish American Chamber of Commerce in Ohio.
Relevant experience includes:
Retirement and Health Plans
- Tax-qualified defined benefit and defined contribution plans
- Medical plans, Section 125 “cafeteria” plans, wrap welfare plans
- Compliance with Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, HIPAA and COBRA
- Governmental retirement and health plans
- Equity and phantom equity compensation plans for public and private companies
- Annual bonus and long-term cash incentive arrangements for public, private and non-profit organizations
- Employment, severance, change-in-control and sale bonus agreements
- Non-qualified deferred compensation plans
- Corporate governance and shareholder disclosure requirements under federal securities laws, stock exchange rules and shareholder guidelines
Investment Management and Fiduciary Responsibilities
- Plan investments in hedge funds, private equity funds, collective investment trusts, separate accounts and pooled arrangements
- Service agreements with outside fiduciary advisors
- Compliance with Department of Labor’s new fiduciary rule and related exemptions
- Fiduciary structure and governance for plan sponsors
- Investment policies
Recent examples include:
- Advising large energy and utilities company on entering into various investment arrangements for its multi-billion dollar defined benefit pension plan, including investments in hedge funds, private equity funds, collective investment trusts and separate accounts.
- Representing a global food and beverage manufacturing company with review and negotiating contracts with investment managers for individualized funds under its multi-billion dollar defined contribution plan.
- Advising several clients, including national banks, broker-dealers and Registered Investment Advisor firms, on implementing the Department of Labor’s new fiduciary rule and related exemptions.
- Advising several publicly held clients on designing and obtaining shareholder approval of equity compensation plans.
- Advising large governmental retirement program on negotiating arrangement with pharmaceutical benefits program.
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Capital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Compliance Services
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor of Case Law Review, Law-Medicine Fellowship
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, M.A., Biological Psychology, 2003
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., Psychology, 1999
- State of Ohio