Steve is a partner in Calfee’s corporate and M&A practice groups. Steve also is a chair of the Firm’s ESOP practice group. His practice focuses on counseling primarily privately-held clients with respect to transactional matters including mergers and acquisitions, ESOP formation, and a wide range of general corporate, business and finance matters, including, corporate governance, early-stage investing, and a variety of commercial contracts. Steve’s clients range from start-ups to public companies and across various industries, including, construction, advertising, finance, software and manufacturing.
Steve also effectively serves as outside general counsel to a number of private companies that do not have in house legal staffs. As such, Steve advises clients on a wide variety of day to day legal matters, including employment and consulting agreements, noncompetition agreements, executive compensation arrangements and distribution agreements.
Steve has been a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee since 2014 and is active in community matters in New Albany and Columbus. He is a student coach for the Handshake Foundation.
Steve has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law for the past five years.
Prior to joining Calfee, Steve was an associate with the law firms of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan in New York City and Lucash, Gesmer & Updegrove in Boston, Massachusetts. He was a partner with the firm of Goldstein & Manello, P.C. before joining Calfee as a partner in 2000. He is a member of the Ohio, New York and Massachusetts Bar Associations.
- Installed Building Products (NYSE: IBP) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including:
- the purchase of the stock of the Alpha Insulation and Waterproofing group of companies, which install waterproofing, insulation, fireproofing, and fire stopping products for large, long-lead time commercial projects throughout the southern United States;
- the purchase of the stock of the BDI Insulation group of companies, which install fiberglass insulation serving select markets in Southern California, Washington, Idaho and Utah through nine branch locations; and
- the purchase of substantially all of the assets of Alpine Insulation Co. Inc., a Wisconsin residential and commercial insulation contractor.
- Represented Marsh, Berry & Co., Inc., an S corporation, in the simultaneous redemption of 100% of their outstanding capital stock and the sale of new shares to an ESOP.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its formation, capital formation and subsequent Series A Preferred investments in ten portfolio companies.
- Represented Rev1 Ventures in numerous Convertible Note and Series A Preferred financings.
- Represented UK corporation in the purchase of two separate product lines from a Fortune 50 US public company for approximately $40M and $25M.
- Represented a US public company engaged in the hardware and software business in the sale of two separate lines of business to another US public company for approximately $100M and $300M.
- Represented management team in a leverage buyout of health care related company for approximately $30M.
- Represented private equity fund in the purchase of a nutritional supplement company for approximately $30M.
- Represented Japanese holding company in the purchase of a Tier 2 automobile parts supplier for approximately $30M.
- Information Technology
- Capital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Private Equity
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1988
- The Ohio State University, B.A., with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, 1985
- States of Ohio, New York and Commonwealth of Massachusetts