Steve is a partner in Calfee’s corporate and M&A practice groups. Steve also is a chair of the Firm’s ESOP practice group. His practice focuses on counseling primarily privately-held clients with respect to transactional matters including mergers and acquisitions, ESOP formation, and a wide range of general corporate, business and finance matters, including, corporate governance, early-stage investing, and a variety of commercial contracts. Steve’s clients range from start-ups to public companies and across various industries, including, construction, advertising, finance, software and manufacturing.
Steve has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2013-2019) for Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law.
Steve also effectively serves as outside general counsel to a number of private companies that do not have in house legal staffs. As such, Steve advises clients on a wide variety of day to day legal matters, including employment and consulting agreements, noncompetition agreements, executive compensation arrangements and distribution agreements.
Steve has been a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee since 2014 and is active in community matters in New Albany and Columbus. He is a student coach for the Handshake Foundation.
Prior to joining Calfee, Steve was an associate with the law firms of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan in New York City and Lucash, Gesmer & Updegrove in Boston, Massachusetts. He was a partner with the firm of Goldstein & Manello, P.C. before joining Calfee as a partner in 2000. He is a member of the Ohio, New York and Massachusetts Bar Associations.
- Installed Building Products (NYSE: IBP) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including:
- the purchase of the stock of the Alpha Insulation and Waterproofing group of companies, which install waterproofing, insulation, fireproofing, and fire stopping products for large, long-lead time commercial projects throughout the southern United States;
- the purchase of the stock of the BDI Insulation group of companies, which install fiberglass insulation serving select markets in Southern California, Washington, Idaho and Utah through nine branch locations; and
- the purchase of substantially all of the assets of Alpine Insulation Co. Inc., a Wisconsin residential and commercial insulation contractor.
- Represented Marsh, Berry & Co., Inc., an S corporation, in the simultaneous redemption of 100% of their outstanding capital stock and the sale of new shares to an ESOP.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its formation, capital formation and subsequent Series A Preferred investments in ten portfolio companies.
- Represented Rev1 Ventures in numerous Convertible Note and Series A Preferred financings.
- Represented UK corporation in the purchase of two separate product lines from a Fortune 50 US public company for approximately $40M and $25M.
- Represented a US public company engaged in the hardware and software business in the sale of two separate lines of business to another US public company for approximately $100M and $300M.
- Represented management team in a leverage buyout of health care related company for approximately $30M.
- Represented private equity fund in the purchase of a nutritional supplement company for approximately $30M.
- Represented Japanese holding company in the purchase of a Tier 2 automobile parts supplier for approximately $30M.
- Information Technology
- Capital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Private Equity
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1988
- The Ohio State University, B.A., with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, 1985
- States of Ohio, New York and Commonwealth of Massachusetts