Sam’s corporate and M&A practice focuses on counseling public and privately-owned companies with respect to transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions and a wide range of general corporate and business matters such as equity offerings and commercial contracts. Sam serves all types of clients, whether start-ups, closely-held family businesses, private equity firms or multinational public companies, in a broad range of industries, including healthcare, energy, chemicals and consumer products. His tax practice is primarily devoted to assisting clients in structuring tax-efficient transactions from formation through dissolution. Additionally, Sam has significant experience with counseling nonprofit organizations with respect to all manners of issues, including those related to formation and ongoing operations.
Sam has worked on a wide variety of merger and acquisition transactions, representing both buyers and sellers, including numerous privately-owned companies and public companies such as RPM International Inc., Chart Industries, Inc., Invacare Corporation, Linsalata Capital Partners, Ferro Corporation and The Lincoln Electric Company.
He has been named to the 2018 Ohio Rising Stars List for Tax law by Super Lawyers.
Sam is a member of the Board of Directors of COAR Peace Mission, an organization dedicated to supporting a children’s village for disadvantaged youth in El Salvador. He is also a member of Calfee’s Hiring Committee and is a regular presenter at the annual Cleveland Tax Institute, as well as a member of the Tax Club of Cleveland.
He received a B.S.B.A. (summa cum laude), Master of Accounting and J.D. (summa cum laude) from The Ohio State University.
Sam began his tenure at Calfee in 2012.
- RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM) and its affiliates in numerous acquisitions, including:
- The purchase of the stock of Holton Food Products Company, a producer of dry egg white products and specialized stabilizers;
- The purchase of the stock of CFM Consolidated, Inc., a manufacturer specializing in injection molding, plastic forming, welding and fabrication;
- The purchase of substantially all of the assets of Bomat, Inc., a manufacturer of concrete and flooring and roofing products;
- The purchase of the stock of Citadel Restoration and Repair, Inc., a commercial floor coatings business; and
- The purchase of substantially all of the assets of Expanko Incorporated, a manufacturer of high performance floors for commercial environments.
- Chart Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ: GTLS) and its affiliates in the acquisition of the stock of Thermax Inc., a designer and fabricator of vaporizers for cryogenic fluids and liquefied gases.
- Invacare Corporation (NYSE: IVC) and its affiliates in several transactions, including:
- The sale of Garden City Medical, Inc., a provider of durable medical equipment;
- The sale of Dynamic Medical Systems, LLC and Invacare Outcomes Management, LLC, providers of medical equipment to the healthcare industry; and
- The sale of Altimate Medical, Inc., a manufacturer of durable medical equipment.
- Linsalata Capital Partners and its affiliates in several transactions, including:
- The acquisition of Excell Marketing and Procurement Group, a nationwide network of foodservice equipment and supplies members;
- The acquisition of Signature Systems Group, a manufacturer and distributor of industrial matting and specialty flooring systems;
- The sale of Royal Baths Holding Company, a producer of quality bath products; and
- The sale of Home Decor Holding Company, a provider of home décor products to mass, home improvement, discount and specialty retailers in North America.
- Ferro Corporation (NYSE: FOE) in several transactions, including:
- Its merger with TherMark Holdings, Inc., a leader in laser marking technology; and
- Its acquisition of certain assets of Delta Performance Products, LLC, a manufacturer of pool and aggregate quartz color pigments.
- The Lincoln Electric Company (NASDAQ: LECO) and its affiliates in the purchase of substantially all of the assets of two companies that were developers and manufacturers of welding training products.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Public Law and Finance
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude; Order of the Coif; Articles Editor, Ohio State Entrepreneurial Business Law Journal; Business Law Society; 2012
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business, Master of Accounting, 2009
- The Ohio State University, B.S.B.A. in Accounting, summa cum laude, 2009
- State of Ohio