As a member of the firm’s Construction practice group, Ron counsels and represents public and private owners, contractors and subcontractors in several different contexts related to various types of construction projects in and outside of Ohio. Ron’s representation has involved resolution of contract disputes, claims and lien litigation, and contract drafting and analysis. Ron is a regular presenter at construction law seminars, speaking on construction claims, public contracting and related topics.
Ron also works with several of the firm’s practice groups to provide advice and representation to clients on a variety of issues pertaining to the enforcement of creditors’ rights, including bankruptcy adversary proceedings, attachment and garnishment proceedings, fraudulent transfer claims and debt collection issues.
Since joining Calfee in 2002, Ron has represented clients in numerous other areas as well, including advising and representing clients in numerous other areas of law, including business tort and serious accident litigation, TRO and preliminary injunction cases, real property disputes, municipal litigation, noncompetition and nondisclosure disputes, environmental litigation, franchise and distribution litigation and many other areas of commercial and corporate litigation. He also counsels corporate clients on various compliance issues such as government contracting and product regulation and labeling issues.
Ron is a member of the Federal, Ohio State and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations.
- Defended large county hospital, in both court and arbitration proceedings, against claims by contractors and subcontractors arising from major hospital renovation.
- Defended lessee corporation against claims by lessor related to multi-year lease extensions entered with a corporate insider.
- Resolved dispute between excavating company and township related to cost overruns on a sewer installation project.
- Defended successful bidder on a large water treatment project against bid protest by competitor.
- Defended regional sewer district against claim by contractor for excess equipment and labor costs on a sewer cleaning project.
- Defended manufacturing company against intentional tort claim brought by employee injured by a punch press.
- Defended research and manufacturing company against claims by employee injured during use of mixing machine.
- Represented local manufacturing and distributing company in numerous claims against distributors, suppliers and customers nationwide.
- Successfully defended the priority of a mortgage for the insured of a local title company whose interest was challenged in foreclosure.
- “The Kaminski Decision and Employment Intentional Torts: The End of the Saga?,” Calfee Update, March 25, 2010.
- “Unraveling the New Value Defense, Counseling Clients Dealing with Insolvent Debtors, Part II,” Federal Bar Association Newsletter, Inter Alia, Winter 2006.
Co-author, "Making the right calls after a jobsite accident," Builders Exchange Magazine, Vol. 6, Issue 1, 2006.
- “Nice Creditors Finish Last?, Counseling Clients Dealing with Insolvent Debtors, Part I,” Federal Bar Association Newsletter, Inter Alia, Summer 2005.
**Detailed seminar materials for presentations identified below.
- “Updates on Construction Claims,” Ohio State Bar Association Construction Law Forum, Columbus, Ohio, September 17, 2015.
- “Public Competitive Bidding Statuses and Bid Protests,” Lorman Education Service, Toledo, Ohio, October 10, 2014.
- “Updates on Construction Claims,” Ohio State Bar Association Construction Law Forum, Columbus, Ohio, September 17, 2014.
- “Delay and Damage Provisions in Construction Contracts,” National Business Institute Seminar, Independence, Ohio, April 10, 2014.
- “Litigating Mechanic’s Liens,” Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus, Ohio, September 23, 2011.
- “Construction Claims,” Ohio State Bar Association Construction Law Forum, Columbus, Ohio, September 2, 2010, September 6, 2011, September 5, 2012, September 4, 2013.
- “Entering into Construction Contracts and Subcontracts,” Ohio Construction Law Seminar, Middleburg Heights, Ohio, December 8, 2010.
- “Case Law Updates: Rulings that Affect Your World,” Construction Defect Litigation: From A to Z seminar, Worthington, Ohio, September 2, 2009, September 28, 2010, September 19, 2011, May 15, 2012, May 8, 2013.
- “Avoiding Liability Under Contracts,” Minimizing Engineering Liability Exposure seminar, Independence, Ohio, June 21, 2007.
- Federal Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Construction Litigation
- Business, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Tort, Accident and Products Liability Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Compliance Services
- Workers’ Compensation and OSHA
- Workers’ Compensation and OSHA Litigation
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2000
- Cleveland State University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1996
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts (Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio; Northern District of Indiana; Eastern District of Michigan; Eastern District of Texas)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court