Neil represents clients in various types of transactions, including sales and purchases of assets or stock, mergers, redemptions, and joint ventures. He works with a diverse range of domestic and international clients, including start-up enterprises, closely held companies, private equity funds, and publicly traded companies. Neil represents manufacturers, distributors and service providers in almost every sector of the economy, including general industrial, consumer product, aerospace, chemical, oil and gas, pharmaceutical and software sectors.
Neil also has extensive experience working with individuals and privately held companies with respect to business formation, private placements, buy-sell agreements, management equity arrangements, employment and consulting agreements, real estate purchases and leases, joint development agreements, license agreements, and supply and distribution agreements. His background enables him to offer practical and creative advice on a wide range of business arrangements and contracts.
Neil chairs Calfee’s franchise practice group. He counsels prospective franchisors on the pros and cons of the franchise business model, and prepares franchise disclosure documents and related agreements and governmental filings. He also represents many franchisees and assists them in the negotiation of area development agreements, franchise agreements and related documents.
Neil received a B.A. from Fordham University (summa cum laude) and a J.D. from Columbia Law School.
He is involved with a number of local civic and charitable organizations. He also is a member of the American and Cuyahoga County Bar Associations.
Neil joined Calfee in 1989 and became a partner in 1999.
- Purchase of over 20 waste handling equipment manufacturers, for prices ranging from $5 Million to $75 Million
- Multiple redemptions of shares of construction services company for $7 Million
- Sale of shares of manufacturing company for $600 Million
- Purchase of shares of oil and gas distribution company for $30 Million
- Multiple add-on acquisitions for private equity fund for $16-$21 Million
- Local counsel for purchase of equity of pharmaceutical company for $2.1 Billion
- Sale of assets of food distributor for $3 Million
- Sale of equity of oil and gas distribution company for $20 Million
- Purchase of equity of industrial manufacturing company for $3 Million
- Sale of shares of software company for $260 Million
- Sale of assets of pharmaceutical company for $30 Million
- Purchase of equity of logistics services company for $4 Million
- Multiple redemptions of shares of food processing company for $265 Million
- Purchase of shares of home services franchisor for $60 Million
- Sale of shares of software company for $8 Million
- Local counsel for sale of packaging materials company for $800 Million
- Sale of assets of cable distribution company for $30 Million
- Local counsel for purchase of shares of chemical company for $1.4 Billion
- Purchase of assets of telecommunications supply company for $3 Million
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Succession Planning
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Fordham University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1986
- State of Ohio