Commercial Finance and Banking: Mona focuses her practice on representing national, regional and local banks, SBA lenders, other financial institutions, private equity sponsors, and companies in secured and unsecured commercial loan and lending transactions. Mona has experience structuring, documenting, and negotiating various types of loan transactions, including asset-based and cashflow-based transactions, term loans, revolving facilities, and construction loans, mezzanine financings, subordinated debt placements, syndicated and single-lender facilities, acquisition financing, working capital financing, and equipment financing. Mona's loan transaction experience also includes loan originations and refinancing, loan maintenance and modifications, loan restructurings, and collateral issues.
Public Finance: Mona’s practice encompasses various types of public finance issues, including acting as bond counsel in both general obligation and conduit bond and note financings for municipalities, counties, the State of Ohio, colleges and universities, and utility companies, and serving as underwriter’s counsel for national and regional underwriters of tax-exempt and taxable bond issues. Mona’s public finance transaction experience also includes preparing indentures and supplemental trust agreements, official statements and offering memorandums, bond purchase agreements, continuing disclosure agreements, blue sky surveys, ordinances, among others.
Mona earned her J.D., summa cum laude, from Cleveland State University’s Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 2011 and a B.A. in English from Shijiazhuang University of Economics in China in 2004. At Cleveland-Marshall, she was the Research Editor of the Cleveland State Law Review, won awards in a Moot Court competition and was the winner of the Suggs I. Garber Award for Highest Academic GPA in Business Organizations and Taxation and the CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Antitrust, Taxation I, Mergers & Acquisitions, Estates & Trusts, Employment Law, Legal Profession, and Torts. She also won a Pro Bono and Community Service Award.
While in law school, Mona held concurrent externships with Ohio Supreme Court Justice Maureen O’Connor and Judge Randolph Baxter of the United States Bankruptcy Court, N.D. She is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and proficient in English-to-Chinese and Chinese-to-English translation.
Mona joined Calfee in 2011.
Mergers and Acquisitions Representative Transactions:
- Assisted in the due diligence review and the preparation of disclosure schedules and various closing documents for a Cleveland, Ohio based microcap private equity firm's approximately $16 million sale of a portfolio company.
- Assisted in the due diligence review, review of disclosure schedules, and the preparation of various closing documents for a Cleveland, Ohio based private equity firm's approximately $81 million acquisition of a portfolio company.
- Assisted in the due diligence review and the preparation of disclosure schedules and various closing documents for a leading Ohio-based durable medical equipment manufacturer's $150 million sale of a subsidiary to a leader in wholesale and home-delivered medical supplies, and its $45 million sale of another subsidiary to a SBIC.
- Assisted in the due diligence review for one of the largest private aviation companies’ $200 million acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a leading manufacturer of aviation products.
Public Law and Finance Representative Transactions:
- Assisted in the preparation of preliminary official statement, official statement, bond purchase agreement, continuing disclosure agreement, blue sky surveys, and due diligence in an approximately $45 million senior lien and approximately $77 million subordinate lien bond issuance by a municipality in Ohio where the firm was engaged as Underwriters' Counsel.
- Assisted in the preparation of preliminary official statement, official statement, bond purchase agreement, continuing disclosure agreement, blue sky surveys, and due diligence in an approximately $250 million bond issuance by a district in Ohio where the firm was engaged as Underwriters' Counsel.
Commercial contract/general corporate work:
- Prepared supply agreements, joint venture agreements, letters of intent.
- Prepared employment agreements, joint intellectual property development agreements, non-disclosure agreements.
International/China related work:
- Reviewed the Chinese translation of an equipment purchase and sale agreement between a U.S. and a Chinese carpet manufacturer.
- Prepared an exclusive international distribution agreement between a U.S. manufacturer of linear motion systems and a Chinese distributor.
- Commercial Business and Finance
- Public Law and Finance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Health Care
- Privacy & Data Security
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2011
- Shijiazhuang University of Economics, China, B.A. in English, 2004
- State of Ohio