As a corporate lawyer, Michael counsels clients on a broad range of business and legal concerns, with a focus on representing both buyers and sellers from a broad cross-section of industries in the merger, acquisition or divestiture process, and assisting clients access the capital markets through angel and venture funding rounds. As part of Calfee’s Privacy & Data Security Group, Michael specializes in allocating transactional risks associated with data privacy and security protocols and policies, cross-jurisdiction data transfers, and compliance with related laws and regulations. A representative list of the public and privately-held companies with whom Michael works is: Installed Building Products (NYSE: IBP), Marsh, Berry & Co., Inc., Americhem, Inc., Linsalata Capital Partners, RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM), Park-Ohio Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: PKOH), RKCA, and MCM Capital Partners.
Michael has been named to the Ohio Rising Stars List (2016-2018) for Mergers & Acquisitions by Super Lawyers. He was named a "Cincy Leading Lawyer" by Cincinnati Magazine (2018).
Michael also serves as outside general counsel to a number of private companies. As such, Michael advises clients on a wide variety of day-to-day matters, including commercial contract negotiation, implementation of privacy and cybersecurity policies and procedures, structuring business organizations, business succession planning, and ESOP transactions.
Outside of the office, Michael is active in the community. He presents at seminars and has authored numerous publications.
Michael received his bachelor in arts from Yale University and his law and master in business administration degrees from the University of Cincinnati.
Prior to joining Calfee’s Cincinnati office in 2014, Michael worked at Blank Rome, LLP.
Michael’s expertise includes the following representative transactions and clients:
- Installed Building Products (NYSE: IBP) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including:
- the purchase of the stock of the Alpha Insulation and Waterproofing group of companies, which install waterproofing, insulation, fireproofing, and fire stopping products for large, long-lead time commercial projects throughout the southern United States;
- the purchase of the stock of the BDI Insulation group of companies, which install fiberglass insulation serving select markets in Southern California, Washington, Idaho and Utah through nine branch locations; and
- the purchase of substantially all of the assets of Alpine Insulation Co. Inc., a Wisconsin residential and commercial insulation contractor.
- Marsh, Berry & Co., Inc., a consulting and investment banking firm focused on the insurance industry, in its transition to become 100% owned by an Employee Stock Ownership Plan Trust.
- Linsalata Capital Partners in several acquisitions and divestitures, including:
- the sale of Eatem Foods Company, a leading developer and producer of premium traditional, natural and organic savory flavor systems, to Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE: ADM); and
- the purchase of the stock of H.H. Franchising Inc., the Cincinnati-based franchisor of Home Helpers.
- RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including: the purchase of substantially all of the assets of two companies that were integrated into RPM’s existing divisions.
- Americhem, Inc. and its affiliates in numerous merger and acquisition transactions, including:
- the purchase of the stock of Vi-Chem Corp., a Michigan compounder of TPE and PVC compounds; and
- the purchase of substantially all of the assets of LTL Color Compounders Inc., a manufacturer of color compounds based primarily on engineering resins with operations in Pennsylvania and Dongguan, China.
- Park-Ohio Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: PKOH), in the purchase of the stock of Autoform Tool & Manufacturing, Inc., an Indiana supplier of high pressure fuel rails and high and low pressure fuel lines used in Gasoline Direct Injection systems utilized by automotive and truck manufacturers.
- MCM Capital Partners in several acquisitions, including the purchase of substantially all of the assets of Performance Plastics Ltd., a Cincinnati-based custom injection molding company.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Private Equity
- Commercial Business and Finance
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Privacy & Data Security
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- University of Cincinnati College of Business, M.B.A., Finance, 2010
- Yale University, B.A., History, 2005
- States of Ohio and Kentucky
- U.S. District Courts (Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio; Eastern District of Kentucky)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- District of Columbia