Matt has helped clients navigate a range of M&A and capital market transactions in domestic and cross-border deals. He led the team that represented an industry pioneer and leading manufacturer of automotive safety technology in an M&A transaction which resulted in Matt being recognized as dealmaker of the month by DealMakers Monthly magazine, an international business publication that recognizes the leading deal makers across the world in merger and acquisition transactions. Matt’s work representing clients in the entertainment industry resulted in him being recognized as a Leading Entertainment Lawyer by Newsweek Magazine in 2012.
He is a regular presenter at seminars and is the author of numerous publications on M&A and capital market topics, including financial statement preparation and analysis, managing funds in the Dodd-Frank era, and advanced merger and acquisition techniques.
Matt has been a member of the Cincinnati legal community for more than twenty years, both as a member of prestigious Cincinnati law firms and as in-house counsel for a global consumer products company headquartered in Cincinnati. He joined Calfee as a partner in 2012.
Matt graduated summa cum laude with a B.A. from Kent State University and earned his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review.
Matt’s expertise in M&A transactions includes the following representative experience:
- Sale of privately-held direct marketing business to a publicly-traded company for approximately $100,000,000.
- Sale of approximately 50% of the equity securities of a national automotive equipment manufacturer and distributor to a private equity fund for approximately $35,000,000.
- Acquisition of a professional services staffing business for approximately $30,000,000.
- Merger of artificial intelligence-assisted software company with subsidiary of global service provider to the pharmaceutical industry for equity consideration valued at approximately $25,000,000.
- Sale of stock of Ohio-based industrial pump distributor to strategic buyer for approximately $20,000,000.
- Sale of automotive parts supplier to a strategic buyer for approximately $18,000,000.
- Acquisition of assets of a payroll services provider for approximately $15,000,000.
- Acquisition of a U.S. packaging supply business for a Canadian acquirer for approximately $4,000,000.
Matt’s expertise in Capital Market transactions includes the following representative experience:
- Represented financier in extending approximately $70,000,000 of credit facilities to a borrower in the automotive services industry.
- Represented purchasers in a $52,000,000 convertible note private offering by a pharmaceutical company.
- Represented borrower in the staffing services industry in structuring and securing $32,500,000 in debt financing.
- Represented non-bank lender in structuring and securing $30,000,000 of debt and equity financing to fund the lender’s reserve and working capital requirements.
- Represented borrower in structuring $20,000,000 of senior and subordinated debt financing to fund a recapitalization of the company.
- Represented lead purchaser in a $4,000,000 offering of equity interests in an early-stage technology company.
- Represented a pre-revenue start-up company in the food and beverage industry in structuring and obtaining a $1,500,000 equity investment to fund commercialization of the company’s products.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Commercial Business and Finance
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1994 - Law Review
- Kent State University, B.A., summa cum laude, in Political Science, 1991
- States of Ohio, Kentucky and District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court (Southern District of Ohio)