As a member of the Employee Benefits Litigation Group, Matt represents clients in ERISA disputes in federal court and assists ERISA fiduciaries and plan sponsors in proactively complying with their ERISA obligations. His ERISA experience includes defending and prosecuting complex claims under ERISA, such as ERISA breach of fiduciary duty claims and ERISA benefits claims.
Matt also counsels clients on many day-to-day legal and business issues, including data security, consumer protection, privacy, and unfair competition laws.
Some of Matt’s recent successes include:
- While representing a large Northeastern Ohio municipality, obtained from the Ohio Supreme Court a favorable ruling on the merits in a $1.2 million municipal income tax refund case.
- Obtained summary judgment in the amount of more than $580,000, including attorney's fees and interest, in favor of one of Calfee's privately held clients.
- Obtained total summary judgment and dismissal of ERISA pension claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained injunction freezing the assets of four defendants in a multi-million dollar ERISA health benefits dispute arising out of the mismanagement and underfunding of the welfare plans of one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million dollar contract claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of environmental pollution claims brought against one of Calfee’s large privately held clients.
- Obtained favorable settlement in federal tax refund case for one of Calfee’s large public clients, resulting in a tax refund of more than $1 million.
- Obtained favorable judgment on multi-million dollar breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy claims brought against Calfee’s client.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of multi-million dollar business tort claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of original action brought against an Ohio public official in the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Obtained favorable early settlement of product warranty claims brought by one of Calfee’s publicly held clients, resulting in a substantial monetary settlement for Calfee’s publicly held client.
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of private real estate developer, allowing multi-million dollar construction project to resume.
- Obtained complete dismissal of lender’s claims brought against debtor client.
- Obtained from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals the reversal and remand of an erroneous federal district court ruling while representing an indigent criminal defendant in a federal habeas corpus proceeding.
Matt also serves on the Board of Directors of Susan G. Komen® Northeast Ohio and The Inner City Tennis Clinic. He is also an active participant in the Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Program, where he represents underprivileged clients in various litigation matters on a pro bono basis.
- Business, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Employee Benefits Litigation
- Insurance Recovery
- Appellate Proceedings Litigation
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law at Cleveland State University, J.D., summa cum laude, 2012, Cleveland State Law Review Research Editor
- Allegheny College, B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, 2009
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts (Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio; Eastern District of Michigan; Northern District of Indiana)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit