His experience with private equity funds, startup entities and commercial financings enables him to assist clients with the legal aspects of capital raising initiatives in both up and down rounds. He counsels startup companies with respect to entity selection and formation, buy-sell agreements and management agreements. John works closely with Calfee’s estate planning attorneys to maximize the benefits for future generations in ownership successions and exit events. His practice also includes negotiation of borrower-side commercial financings and loan transactions. John advises Calfee’s corporate clients and business owners on general corporate law matters, including mergers and acquisitions, securities, finance, succession planning, venture capital and private equity investments.
John has worked on a variety of merger and acquisition transactions, representing both buyers and sellers, including numerous privately-held companies and public companies such as GCA Services Group, Inc., Invacare Corporation, Linsalata Capital Partners, New York Community Bank and Mayfran International.
John is active both in firm management and in the community. He currently chairs the Governance Committee and serves on the Executive Committee of The City Club of Cleveland. John is also Treasurer of the Wharton Club of Northeast Ohio, on whose board he has served for several years. He is a presenter at seminars and the author of several publications.
John graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, receiving a B.S.E. from the Wharton School and a B.A. from the College of Arts and Sciences. John received his J.D., Magna Cum Laude and Order of the Coif, from the Case Western Reserve School of Law.
John’s considerable expertise includes having represented the following public and privately held
companies and private equity firms:
- Invacare Corporation (NYSE: IVC), a leading manufacturer and distributor of home and long-term care medical products in numerous acquisitions and divestitures, including:
- divestiture of Invacare Supply Group, a distribution business focused on disposable medical products;
- divestiture of Altimate Medical, a manufacturer and seller of standing and mobility aids;
- divestiture of Champion Manufacturing, a manufacturer of medical recliners;
- divestiture of Dynamic Medical Systems, a provider of medical equipment, clinical consulting and educational training programs; and
- divestiture of Garden City Medical, a distributor of durable medical equipment.
- Linsalata Capital Partners, an Ohio-based private equity firm, and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions including:
- acquisition and subsequent sale of Eatem Foods, a manufacturer of bases and flavoring for soups, sauces and other foods;
- acquisition of Whitcraft, a provider of engineering and manufacturing services for the aerospace industry;
- acquisition of Berkshire Manufactured Products by Whitcraft;
- sales of Diversco and Personnel Management, Inc., providers of temporary staffing services; and
- sale of Paradigm Packaging, a manufacturer and distributor of plastic containers and closures for nutritional, pharmaceutical and other end markets.
- GCA Services Group, Inc., a national provider of janitorial and facilities maintenance services, in its sale to The Blackstone Group.
- Metric Collective, a firm specializing in acquiring and growing internet technology-based companies, in several transactions, including:
- acquisition of Discover Dandelion, a service company providing digital advertising as a service;
- acquisition of Boostable by Discover Dandelion;
- acquisition of Union Square Linens (f/k/a RazaTrade), an on-line wholesaler of premiums linens, and subsequent sale of Union Square to Banda Apparel; and
- sale of AddressReport.com, Inc., an on-line searchable database of residential real estate records and related neighborhood metrics, to OnBoard.
- Flight Options, a leading provider of private and charter air craft service, in its acquisition of the Flexjet division of Bombardier.
- Meadville Forging Company, a Pennsylvania-based forge, in its divestment of the assets of Carolina Forge Company to Linamar Corporation.
- Mobility Works, a national producer of wheelchair-accessible vans and vehicles, in its acquisition of HASCO Medical, Inc., a publicly-traded competitor based in Texas.
- Gates Group Capital Partners in its acquisition of Remprex, a provider of logistics infrastructure for rail-based distribution centers.
- New York Community Bank in its acquisition of AmFin Investment Services, the securities broker-dealer subsidiary of AmTrust Bank.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Corporate Succession Planning
- Commercial Business and Finance
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Compliance Services
- Board Counseling and Public Mergers & Acquisitions
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Law Review Executive Committee, National Moot Court, 1998
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., B.S., 1995
- State of Ohio