John’s experience includes representing issuers and underwriters of debt and equity securities in more than 100 underwritten public and Rule 144A offerings; negotiation of mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures involving private and public companies; counseling directors on fiduciary obligations in connection with proposed change of control transactions and disclosure obligations under the federal securities laws; and counseling investment bankers in connection with mergers and acquisitions, fairness opinions, financings and other engagements.
He has also represented targets of SEC, SRO and stock exchange investigations and enforcement proceedings, and has served as counsel to corporations and board committees conducting internal investigations involving allegations of misconduct.
John is routinely recognized for his work in Corporate/M&A by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, an industry-leading legal resource for professionals in search of qualified, experienced legal counsel. In 2018, Chambers USA researchers regarded John as an “expert securities lawyer,” and praised him for his "phenomenal technical knowledge of SEC rules and regulations."
He also has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2008-2018) in the area of Corporate Law and Securities/Capital Markets Law.
John has experience representing clients ranging in size from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, and his practice has included representation of investment banks and other financial institutions, consumer products companies, multinational manufacturing businesses, software and technology companies, and domestic and international oil and gas exploration and coal mining companies. Representative clients include RPM International Inc., The J. M. Smucker Company, KeyCorp, Old National Bancorp, LNB Bancorp, National Bancshares, American Financial Group, Sandler O’Neill + Partners, TCP International Holdings, Mill Road Capital, Alcoa, and Western Reserve Partners.
He has taught mergers and acquisitions law at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, and has been a guest lecturer at The Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University. John also has served as chairman of the Securities Law Section of the Cleveland Bar Association, and as a member of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland Budget Committee and Canisius College Board of Regents. He is also on the Board of Directors of the Western Reserve Historical Society.
He is a frequent author and speaker on securities and corporate law topics. His articles have appeared in publications such as The Business Lawyer, Business Law Today, The Corporate Governance Advisor and Deal Lawyers.
John began his tenure with Calfee in 1986, becoming a partner in 1996.
- Representation of The J.M. Smucker Company in connection with a $1 billion commercial paper program, a $750 million senior note offering, and five shelf resale offerings aggregating approximately 35 million common shares
- Representation of RPM International Inc. in six debt offerings with proceeds exceeding $1.45 billion
- Representation of Sandler O’Neill + Partners in connection with a $100 million debt offering by Old National Bancorp, a $19 million registered equity offering by United Bancorp Inc. and a $15 million registered equity offering by Farmers National Banc Corp.
MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
- Representation of The J.M. Smucker Company in its $3.5 billion acquisition of The Folgers Coffee Company
- Representation of The J.M. Smucker Company as Ohio counsel in connection with its $5.8 billion acquisition of Big Heart Brands
- Representation of LNB Bancorp in connection with its $180 million sale to Northwest Bancshares
- Representation of National Bancshares in connection with its $75 million sale to Farmers National Banc Corp.
- Representation of Alcoa as Ohio counsel in connection with its $1.5 billion acquisition of RTI International.
- Representation of Mill Road Capital as Ohio counsel in connection with its $215 million acquisition of R.G. Barry Corporation
- Representation of American Financial Group as Ohio counsel in connection with its $660 million acquisition of National Interstate
- Capital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Energy and Natural Resources, Oil, Gas & Shale
- Compliance Services
- Public Reporting and Corporate Governance
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Canisius College, B.A., 1983
- State of Ohio