She is also experienced in drafting compensation and benefit arrangements, including employment and separation agreements; retention, severance and change-in-control (parachute) plans; profit sharing and 401(k) plans; medical and welfare benefit plans; HIPAA policies and procedures and business associate agreements. She also provides on-going counsel and assistance with the management and administration of those plans. She advises private companies executives and boards on executive compensation and employee benefits issues with a particular emphasis on issues arising in the context of mergers and acquisitions.
Recent examples of her experience include:
- Advised multiple clients on wellness program compliance in light of the new EEOC wellness program regulations.
- Assisted client with preparation for a HIPAA compliance audit by the Office of Civil Rights.
- Conducted a company-wide HIPAA compliance review to assess areas of vulnerability and risk.
- Advised portfolio company on the successful acquisition of an add-on company, including the termination of add-on company’s benefit plans and the transition of add-on employees to portfolio company’s benefit plans.
- Assisted a privately owned client in reviewing so-called “excess parachute payments” under Section 280G for a large group of executives and obtaining the requisite shareholder approval to receive an exemption under Section 280G.
- Negotiated multiple client-favorable business associate agreements.
- Assisted client in analysis and risk assessment of potential HIPAA privacy breach as well as updating HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Obtained a favorable no-action letter from the DOL under the Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program for expenses improperly paid by a plan.
- Amended plan and prepared restatement to implement age-weighted profit sharing contributions.
- Prepared documents for termination of nonqualified deferred compensation plan.
- Obtained favorable compliance statement under the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System of the Internal Revenue Service for pension plan documents not amended or restated since 1996.
- Assisted client and prepared related documents in merger of stock bonus plan into 401(k) savings plan.
- Obtained favorable compliance statement under the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System of the Internal Revenue Service for loan default.
Jen served as an extern to the Honorable Judge Kathleen McDonald O’Malley, U.S. District Court, Northern District Court of Ohio in 2008.
Jen serves on the Board of Directors for the Cleveland Police Foundation. She is a member of the Executive Council of the Young Lawyers Section of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations. She also serves on the Preservation Projects Committee for the Cleveland Restoration Society and the Cleveland Host Committee for Bright Pink. She is an active member of her community block club and serves as its treasurer.
Jen was an associate at Jones Day from 2010 to 2013. She joined Calfee in 2013.
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Cleveland State University Marshall College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2010, Managing Editor, Law Review, Board of Governors, Moot Court
- The Ohio State University, B.S., Finance, and B.A., Psychology, magna cum laude, 2007
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio