Jake’s representative experience in the litigation area includes:
- Successfully defending a foreign government against claims worth over $1 billion during a five-week bench trial in federal court.
- Obtaining a $27.8 million judgment in a bank fraud proceeding.
- Achieving the dismissal of a complaint for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against a multinational financial services corporation.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a complaint seeking $10 million for alleged RICO violations.
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissing an ERISA action against a fund's former business manager.
- Obtaining the dismissal of claims for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract against an Ohio distributor.
- Representing employers enforcing non-competition claims both in Ohio and across the country.
Before joining Calfee in 2012, Jake served as a law clerk to the Hon. Jack Zouhary, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Ohio. Prior to beginning his legal career, Jake served as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Army where he completed two combat tours in Iraq with the 25th Infantry Division.
Jake is the author of “Removal: The LLC Problem,” Litigation News, Vol. 17, Issue 2, Summer 2012 and co-author of “Netflix Imbroglio Illustrates the Risks Securities Firms and Professionals Face from Unregulated Use of Electronic Social Media,” Calfee First Alert, December 12, 2012.
- Business, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2011, Chief Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal
- Stetson University, B.A. in History, cum laude, 2003
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court (Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit