Georgia’s experience includes representing clients in infringement matters concerning a wide variety of technological fields including pharmaceuticals, medical products, mobile devices, payment and authentication systems, and consumer products. She regularly assists in freedom to practice projects and counsels clients as to licensing and portfolio strategy.
Georgia has led all aspects of the litigation process, including the preparation of initial pleadings and joint defense agreements, fact development and depositions, Markman hearings, written and oral motion practice, negotiation of settlements, and trial planning.
Georgia has taught as an adjunct professor of trademark law at Case Western Reserve University School of Law. Georgia has served as chair of the Copyright Committee for the Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association and is a member of the American Bar Association. She is listed in World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals.
She previously was an attorney with Jones Day, Cleveland and New York, and with Goodwin Procter of New York. She joined Calfee in 2005, became a partner in 2009 and a member of the Executive Committee in 2016.
- Lead counsel for two global pharmaceutical companies as plaintiffs in a patent infringement case involving a billion-dollar Alzheimer’s drug, which resulted in a settlement on the day before trial. Obtained favorable claim constructions and prevailed in several dispositive disputes.
- Lead counsel for global software company in case involving copyright and trademark infringement and trade secret misappropriation. Promptly obtained entry of preliminary injunction on behalf of the plaintiff. The case was favorably resolved on terms that required the defendants to stop providing all services related to the plaintiff’s software and pay a settlement fee.
- Lead counsel for global manufacturer of pigments and dyes in case involving trademark infringement and dilution. Promptly obtained defendants’ cessation of infringing conduct.
- Defended global software company in high-stakes patent infringement claim, resulting in jury verdict of non-infringement.
- Represented medical device company in enforcement of patents and defense of antitrust claims, resulting in prompt and favorable settlement.
- Drafted successful summary judgment and appeal briefs in multi-million dollar case involving medical device.
- In numerous cases filed by non-practicing entities, successfully extricated clients from litigation, often at a fraction of the cost of other defendants, and at a fraction of what the plaintiff initially sought.
- Drafted and negotiated multi-million dollar software license on behalf of national bank.
WTR 1000 – World Trademark Reporter 2016: “Enforcement doyenne Georgia Yanchar cuts a dash in sectors ranging from financial services to luxury goods.”
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Information Technology
- Compliance Services
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1999
- University of Pittsburgh, B.S. in Chemical Engineering, summa cum laude, 1996
- States of Ohio and New York
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts (Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, Southern District of New York, Western District of Pennsylvania and Eastern District of Wisconsin)