The foundation of David’s practice involves real estate transactions from the owner’s and lender’s perspective, as well as corporate real estate and general corporate counseling for real estate entrepreneurs, investors, lenders and developers. David was previously licensed as a certified public accountant and practiced accountancy at a Big 5 accounting firm in New York City.
- Acted as Ohio local counsel for one of Ohio’s full service casinos, assisting with land assemblage, tenant relocations, demolition and construction, historic landmarks, landowner lawsuits, receivership purchases, and venture financing in excess of $800,000,000.
- Assisted owner in development of two full service hotels in Chicago, Illinois and Durham, North Carolina.
- Assisted owner in acquisition and redevelopment of a historic Inn in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Acted as Ohio local counsel on the purchase and re-capitalization of a 128 hotel, multi-state portfolio.
- Assisted investor group with acquisition of auto parts manufacturer sold by state court receivership.
- Assisted private individual with purchase of apartment at Waldorf Astoria, Jerusalem, Israel.
- Assisted snack food manufacturer with acquisition, construction and financing of LEED certified food manufacturing and HQ facility.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in the acquisition of $757,000,000 of coal mines in West Virginia.
- Represented a public company in the divestiture of deep coal mines, surface mines and processing plants.
- Represented shareholder in the sale of its chemical production corporation involving multi-state facilities for $58,000,000.
Other Representative Transactions
- Assisted national cardiologist group with acquisition of full service hospital in Hawaii.
- Represented an Ohio county in the acquisition of 63 acres of waterfront property located in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. The property was subject to a foreclosure action, a separate eminent domain action and a submerged land lease with the State of Ohio.
- Assisted owner of 950 units of garden-style apartment complexes in the workout and deed in lieu of foreclosure to main lenders with related discharge of personal guarantees.
- Assisted local medical school to relocate its main campus from the City of Cleveland to the City of Independence, including acquisition, zoning and development representation.
- Assisted an Akron, Ohio-based private golf club with loan workout and golf club management representation to avert bankruptcy and shut down of club operations.
- Assisted a property owner in removing a large industrial center from a securitized loan pool without payment of prepayment penalties, late fees or default interest.
- Assisted the developer during the acquisition and restoration of the Old Arcade in Cleveland’s central business district, including the negotiation of multi-tiered public and private financing arrangements and real estate tax abatement.
- Provided real estate representation to an international steel producer in the reorganization of operational assets and recapitalization of business pursuant to court-supervised sale and restructuring under the United States Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented a national land trust in the acquisition of approximately 150 acres of land in Summit County, Ohio, for development into a park and recreation facility.
David has been named one of Ohio’s Super Lawyers from 2008-2016 as well as an “Ohio Rising Star” by Law and Politics Magazine from 2005-2007. He is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and an advisory board member of First American Title Insurance Company. David is a former member of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, the Urban Land Institute and International Council of Shopping Centers. He is also co-author of “At Risk Landlords: How To Protect Your New Lease,” and “A Practical Guide to Sale/Leaseback Transactions,” for the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal. David presented on the topic of tenant due diligence at the International Council of Shopping Centers’ Law Symposium, Winter Conference, 2016.
Prior to joining Calfee, David practiced law at McDonald Hopkins LLC where he was a partner in the firm’s corporate and business department. He joined Calfee as a partner in 2007.
- Real Estate
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1996
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.S., 1991
- State of Ohio