Chris provides counsel on matters of environmental and regulatory compliance, including permitting and reporting under the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act as well as a variety of state environmental laws and regulations.
Chris represents clients on permit appeals before the Environmental Review Appeals Commission as well as throughout enforcement proceedings, both administrative and judicial, regarding environmental statutes and regulations.
Chris’ representative environmental experience includes:
- Represented corporations, municipalities and villages in administrative appeals pending before the Ohio Environmental Review Appeals Commission involving challenges to their NPDES permits, hazardous waste closure plans, Title V permits and air permits to install issued by Ohio EPA and extensive permit negotiations in the settlement and dismissal of the appeals.
- Successfully defended and resolved environmental enforcement actions for public and private entities on various air and water issues.
- Represents private and public entities seeking permits under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and Ohio’s isolated wetlands program.
Chris also serves businesses throughout Central and Southwest Ohio in all areas of the workers’ compensation administration and legal processes, appearing regularly before the Ohio Industrial Commission, the BWC Adjudicating Committee and Self-Insured Review Panel. Chris represents clients in workers’ compensation appeals in courts of common pleas and appellate courts dealing with both injury and occupational diseases, as well as matters in mandamus.
Chris’ recent representative workers’ compensation experience includes:
- Successfully defending an Ohio corporation against a potential six-figure VSSR award dealing with issues of “proper employer” and alleged violation of Ohio safety regulations.
- Represents businesses in the interstate trucking industry against attempts at seeking allowed Ohio workers’ and unemployment compensation from independent contractor drivers seeking status as “employees.”
- Successfully aided client in petitioning Ohio BWC to withdraw its demand for hundreds of thousands in disability fund (“DWRF”) assessments against an Ohio business that should have remained with the prior business owner.
Chris is a member of the Ohio and Columbus Bar Associations, where he is an active member of the respective environmental law and workers’ compensation law committees. On January 1, 2015, Chris became an Ohio State Bar Association Board Certified Specialist in Workers’ Compensation Law. He joined Calfee in 2003.
- Business, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Environmental: Clean Water Act
- Workers’ Compensation and OSHA
- Workers’ Compensation and OSHA Litigation
- The Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., 2003
- University of Dayton, B.A., summa cum laude, with honors, 2000
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts (Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio)