Brent specializes in consummating mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, joint ventures, and restructurings for a wide range of companies and industries. His experience with private equity firms, family offices and investment funds helps him assist clients in capital formation matters, including venture and mezzanine capital and other private equity financing matters. In addition, Brent provides day-to-day general corporate counseling to his clients and has extensive experience counseling clients on complex contract law matters, distributor and sales agent agreements, sales and purchasing contracts and related terms and conditions of sale and purchase.
Brent’s representative experience includes advising:
CapitalWorks, LLC in numerous acquisitions and divestures, including its recent acquisition of Paradigm Window Solutions, a leading manufacturer of premium quality custom vinyl windows in the Northeast, its divestiture of Bluffton Motor Works, a leading manufacturer of sub-five horsepower motors that power a wide variety of applications throughout the world, to WEG S.A.;
PNC Erieview Capital in dozens middle market private equity investment transactions, including its investments in: Advanced Medical Personnel Services, a travel therapy and nursing staffing company placing healthcare professionals in clinical settings nationwide; Wilson Orchard and Vineyard Supply, a provider of irrigation, planting, development, and harvesting equipment and supplies, as well as irrigation system designs for commercial orchards and vineyards; and Dermatology Group, a Dermatology focused physician practice management company;
Linsalata Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions including its acquisition and subsequent disposition of NeuroTherm, Inc., a leading manufacturer of products used primarily in the field of interventional pain management; its acquisition of Eatem Foods, a manufacturer of bases and flavoring for soups, sauces and other foods;
Action Industries, Ltd., Torsion Plastics, LLC and Flexbrush LLC in connection with the sale of substantially all of such companies’ assets to Torsion Group Corp., an affiliate of MCM Capital Partners, a private equity firm focused on acquiring niche manufacturers, value added distributors and specialty service companies; and
ExactCare Pharmacy, LLC in its sale of a substantial minority equity interest to a private equity investor and two years later, a subsequent “upsized” recapitalization to take out the initial private equity investor and sale of additional equity interests to Nautic Partners, a larger private equity investor.
In 2016, Brent was named to Crain’s Cleveland Business’ 25th Anniversary “Forty Under 40” List for his professional success and civic contributions. Brent was recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in 2012, 2013 and 2014 was recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in each of 2015 and 2016.
In community matters, Brent serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Julie Billiart School and is a member of the Executive Board of Claire’s Crusade. He is also a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association as well as the Executive Committee of the Northeast Ohio Trusted Advisors Network, a professional networking group.
Brent joined Calfee in 2003 and became a partner in 2012.
Brent’s extensive expertise includes having represented the following public and privately held companies and private equity firms:
- Linsalata Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions including its acquisition of NeuroTherm, Inc., a leading manufacturer of products used primarily in the field of interventional pain management; its acquisition of Eatem Foods, a manufacturer of bases and flavoring for soups, sauces and other foods; and its sale of StyleCraft Lamps, Inc., a manufacturer of lamps, wall décor, accent furniture and other accessories.
- National City Equity Partners in numerous mezzanine debt and equity investment transactions including Franklin Energy Services, Gila, Savage Sports, Arrow Tru-Line, Cumming Group, Altech Inspections, CPC/Moss Holdings, Olon Industries, and Vendormate, Inc.
- Babson Capital (MassMutual) in numerous mezzanine debt and equity investment transactions including Arrow Tru-Line, Fowler and Clough Harbour.
- An Ohio-based enterprise developing genetically modified algae as a biofuel source in its raising of several million dollars in equity investment to fund growth.
- Aitheras Aviation Group, LLC in the acquisition and disposition of several aircraft and negotiation of several service contracts with prominent Northeastern Ohio health care providers.
- Ferro Corporation (NYSE: FOE) in several merger and acquisition transactions, including:
- its divestiture of U.S. and Chinese fine chemicals business to Novolyte Technologies LP, an affiliate of Arsenal Capital Management LP; and
- its acquisition of certain assets related to the grinding and fabrication fluids business of Fluid Logic LLC, of Portland, Oregon.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private Equity
- Corporate Succession Planning
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Case Weatherhead School of Management, M.B.A., 2003
- Miami University, B.S., cum laude, 2000
- State of Ohio