Recent examples of Mia’s experience include:
- Drafted various compensation and benefit arrangements and amendments to same including employment agreements, retention plans, health and welfare benefit plans, retirement plans, prototype plans (adoption agreements), volume submitter, and individually designed plans.
- Advised multiple clients on benefit plan compliance (both retirement and welfare plans) in light of new disability claims procedures regulations
- Advised multiple clients on continuing benefits administration compliance under the Affordable Care Act.
- Implement new wrap plan welfare benefit program for multiple clients, allowing for more streamlined welfare program administration under one plan.
- Executed various benefit plan filings with the IRS resulting in favorable determination letters and favorable compliance statements including plan qualification, plan termination, volume submitter, and voluntary correction program filings.
- Assisted self-insured medical plan in review and negotiations of claims administration contracts.
- Prepared submission to IRS proposed rule requests for comments advocating for client’s interests.
- Assisted company and prepared related documents in termination of large scale welfare benefit program and merger of plan participants into Company’s second welfare benefit program.
- Prepared plan participant notices including summary plan descriptions, summaries of material modification, notices to interested parties, and safe harbor notices and advised clients regarding proper distribution of notices.
- Advised corporate clients in merger and acquisition transactions, including review of benefits programs for potential liabilities, executive agreements for continuity of benefits, 280G guidance, and stock rollover arrangements.
- Analyzed peer group company proxy statements to review client executive and director compensation practices.
During law school Mia served as a law clerk for a Fortune 500 company, a summer associate at McDonald Hopkins, and externed for Judge Boyko in the Northern District of Ohio.
Mia was an associate at McDonald Hopkins from 2014 to 2017 and joined Calfee in 2017.
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, May 2014, Research Editor, Law Review
- The Ohio State University, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude,, June 2009
- State of Ohio