Recent accomplishments in business, commercial, and appellate litigation include:
- In February 2017, a jury returned a verdict in favor of Calfee’s law firm client following a trial in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. The plaintiff, a well-known local law firm, sought over $1 million on its breach of contract claim. The unanimous defense verdict resulted in a $0 recovery by the losing plaintiff.
- Following a bench trial in January 2017, the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas issued judgment favor of Calfee’s client awarding over $4.5 million as restitution for excessive premiums charged by the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation since the late 1990s. The losing defendant appealed, and the appellate litigation remains pending.
- In January 2017, Alex obtained dismissal of all claims against a publicly traded Ohio Bank, including fiduciary duty, negligence, and equitable claims. The negotiated outcome resulted in a 96% discount from the plaintiffs’ alleged damages.
- In February 2015, Alex presented oral argument to Ohio’s Eighth District Court of Appeals and obtained a unanimous decision affirming the trial court’s judgment in favor of Calfee’s casino client.
- As lead counsel in June 2014, Alex obtained judgment in favor of Calfee’s casino client on claims seeking monetary damages as well as declaratory and injunctive relief based on alleged violations of zoning and land use laws.
- In December 2013, Alex obtained judgment from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio dismissing all claims against Calfee’s client, a privately held bank, including claims alleging violations of federal banking laws, breach of fiduciary duties, and negligence.
- In July 2013, Ohio’s Eighth District Court of Appeals unanimously affirmed summary judgment in favor of Calfee’s casino client in a highly publicized shareholder dispute. Following an appeal by the losing appellant, the Supreme Court of Ohio declined to accept jurisdiction, resulting in final judgment in favor or Calfee’s client.
- In March 2013, Alex presented oral argument to Ohio's Eighth District Court of Appeals and obtained a unanimous decision affirming the trial court's verdict in favor of Calfee's clients on premises liability claims. The losing appellant appealed to the Supreme Court of Ohio. Following jurisdictional briefing, the Supreme Court of Ohio declined to hear the case, resulting in final judgment in favor of Calfee's clients.
- As lead trial counsel in June 2012, Alex obtained a unanimous jury verdict in favor of homeowners with respect to premises liability claims.
- In June 2012, judgment was awarded in favor of Calfee's casino clients on federal and state constitutional challenges to Ohio's casino gaming legislation. Judgment was subsequently affirmed by Ohio's Tenth District Court of Appeals. The losing appellants, a national anti-gambling organization and its Ohio members, appealed to Supreme Court of Ohio, and the appellate litigation remains pending.
- In March 2012, obtained judgment for Calfee's casino client in a highly publicized shareholder dispute involving real estate adjacent to Cleveland's casino.
- In November 2011, summary judgment was awarded in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania dismissing all nine claims asserted against Calfee's client, a wordwide snack food manufacturer and distributor. The dismissed claims included federal trademark and false advertising claims and claims for fraud, tortious interference, and unfair competition. Following an appeal by the losing plaintiff to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the case settled at a 97% discount from the plaintiff's alleged damages.
- In April 2011, obtained judgment on behalf of a publicly traded Ohio bank on claims alleging fraud and negligence. Following an appeal by the losing plaintiff, Alex negotiated a settlement at a 99% discount from the plaintiff's alleged damages.
- As lead trial counsel in 2010, Alex obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a publicly traded Ohio bank following a bench trial on the plaintiff's mortgage lending claims.
- In 2010, fraud and conversion claims against Calfee's client were dismissed on the pleadings prior to discovery.
As a member of the firm's Labor and Employment group, Alex works with clients on a variety of workplace matters. In addition to conducting on-site investigations into allegations of wrongful employment practices, he represents clients in the defense of claims brought under various state and federal anti-discrimination laws. Alex also defends employers in proceedings before state and federal administrative agencies.
Recent accomplishments in employment litigation include:
- In September 2016, Alex obtained summary judgment in favor of Calfee's law firm client on common law and statutory claims alleging employment discrimination and retaliation. The losing plaintiff's appealed, and the appellate litigation remains pending.
- As lead counsel in February 2014, Alex successfully defended a retaliation claim filed against Calfee's client, an Ohio-based law firm, resulting in the dismissal of the charge by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- In November 2012, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission dismissed charges of race discrimination, age discrimination, and retaliation filed against Calfee's client.
- In July 2012, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission dismissed a charge of disability discrimination filed against Calfee's client. The Commission's findings were later affirmed after a request for reconsideration by the losing claimant.
- As lead counsel in 2012, Alex successfully defended a sexual harassment charge filed by a former employee of Calfee's client, resulting in the dismissal of the charge by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission. The claimant also sought unemployment benefits based on the same allegations. Following a two-day hearing, the Ohio Unemployment Compensation Review Commission affirmed the denial of the claimant's request for unemployment benefits.
Alex serves as chairperson of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's Young Lawyers Section. He also serves as an advisor to Cleveland-Marshall College of Law's nationally recognized Moot Court team.
He joined Calfee in 2010 and serves on the firm’s Hiring Committee.
- Business, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Appellate Proceedings Litigation
- Insurance Recovery
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, chairperson, Moot Court Board of Governors, 2009
- Washington University in St. Louis, B.A. with honors, 2006
- State of Ohio
- U.S. District Court (Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, Eastern District of Michigan)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit