While based in Ohio, we are truly attorneys without borders. Calfee’s International group offers a broad range of commercial insight and practical legal advice and counseling services to companies transacting business across the border or overseas to those venturing into the United States. Our cross-practice team of attorneys handle a wide variety of transactions and matters on behalf of clients and we have been involved with matters on virtually every continent. Calfee is the exclusive member firm in Ohio for Lex Mundi - the world’s largest leading network of independent law firms with in-depth experience in 100+ countries worldwide. As part of the Lex Mundi global network, we can provide our clients with preferred access to more than 21,000 lawyers around the world - all from a single point of contact. Working with other Lex Mundi firms, we are able to seamlessly handle our clients’ most challenging cross-border transactions and disputes.
Our cross-practice team of attorneys handle a wide variety of transactions and matters on behalf of clients. We have been involved with matters on virtually every continent including Europe, Asia, the UK and South America. Our attorneys are skilled in mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures; commercial finance; product and service marketing issues, including distributorships, franchise and other sales structuring techniques and regulations; the protection of intellectual property rights; tax; labor and employment relations; securities; employee benefits; and dispute resolution including international mediation, litigation and arbitration.
Work in China
Calfee has assisted several clients with legal issues associated with opening and running Chinese R&D and manufacturing facilities. This includes vetting business partners, drafting NNN agreements, overseeing formation of joint ventures, managing IP assets developed in China and enforcing IP in China. Additionally, Calfee has helped several China companies enter the United States market. By working with companies on both sides of the Pacific — and addressing their specific problems and needs — Calfee has obtained a unique perspective on China-United States business relationships.
- Trade and competition counseling
- Joint ventures
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Supply and distribution agreements
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Patent, trademark and copyright protection
- Licensing agreements
- Technology transfer and computer law
- U.S. foreign investment reporting requirements
- Import and export trade regulations
- Off shore asset protection
Recent Representative Projects
- Represented U.S. multi-national corporation in action to recover from foreign shipper for failure to obtain requisite bills of lading for major medical equipment delivered in China.
- Represented U.S. multi-national corporation in arbitration proceedings to enforce breach of contract and collection claims against Argentina and Brazilian companies and entities.
- Represented French-based company in actions and proceedings for breach of contract and fraud against British and U.S. companies and principals.
- Represented U.S. company in action on guaranty contract governed by English law against British company.
- Represented U.S. Internationally-based corporation in action to recover from U.S. and foreign insurers in respect of goods lost in transit in the Middle East.
- Represented Industrial Development Board of Northern Ireland in connection with establishment of funding facilities for Northern Ireland development projects involving U.S. company.
- Represented U.S. based public company in a multi-million dollar supply agreement with a Hong Kong intermediary for the supply of products by Chinese factories and provided advisory services regarding country of origin marking requirements for goods imported into the US.
- Represented U.S. private company as the distributor in an international distribution agreement with an Italian manufacturer: issues included choice of law and jurisdiction for arbitration, international payment and transportation and import-export issues.
- Active as advisor to several Swedish based entities for the purpose of identifying contacts in the bio science area in Sweden and developing relationships in bio science and stem cell research programs being conducted in the Northeast Ohio region.
- Ongoing representation of a U.S. based subsidiary of a publicly traded German based manufacturer relating to, among other international matters, a joint venture in Japan and its operations in Mexico.
- Ongoing counseling of a local company with respect to updating and revising the terms of its worldwide sales representative, distributor, dealer and licensee agreements as well as a restructuring of its European operations.
- Represented U.S. based public company in the divestiture of its 50 percent interest in its Slovenian operations and its German manufacturing operations.
- Represented U.S. private company in revising its form of international licensing and reseller agreement to be used in a transaction involving a Japanese distributor.
- Advising a U.S. software company as to the impact of the privacy laws of Japan and potentially other Asian countries in connection with a transaction involving the client’s hosting a database that could potentially contain information subject to the privacy laws of several jurisdictions.
- Represented numerous U.S. based clients in the acquisition of the capital stock or assets of Canadian entities and for those clients with operations in Canada, have assisted them in reincorporating, by amalgamation, their current Canadian subsidiaries into Nova Scotia unlimited liability companies (NSULC).
- Served as special local counsel to an English law firm in connection with the purchase of the stock of a UK-based company with multiple U.S. subsidiaries. The representation included advising the English firm as to appropriate due diligence and then forming the U.S. holding company and eventually in conducting corporate due diligence on the U.S. subsidiaries. In connection with the acquisition, the also counseled the company regarding a multi-million dollar financing with Bank of Scotland.
- Represented U.S. company in connection with international litigation with a French company involving the enforcement of a non-competition provision (interpreting French, English and U.S. laws).
- Ongoing representation of several multi-national corporations in connection with acquisitions (by merger and by purchase of stock or assets) of companies throughout the U.K., Western Europe, Scandinavia, Japan, China, Southeast Asia, South Africa and Israel.
- Advising clients on asset protection strategies through the use of off-shore entities organized in various jurisdictions including Nevis and the Cook Islands.