Energy and Natural Resources, including oil & gas exploration and shale development
Calfee has decades of experience representing exploration and production companies, oil field service providers, pipeline companies, property owners and other industry participants in the Appalachian, Arkoma, Anadarko and Williston Basins. We have counseled these clients in connection with financing, leasehold and asset acquisition, development, production, transportation, sales, and distribution activities and agreements. Our clients have ranged from small, independent E&P companies and drilling partnerships to publicly traded oil and gas companies and large field service providers. Our lawyers have experience dealing in a wide range of real estate, mineral rights, tax, environmental and other legal and regulatory aspects of the business which supplement and are ancillary to oil and gas exploration. We also have represented investment banking and brokerage firms, investors, syndicators and institutional lenders, as well as general corporate clients engaged in energy-related activities (learn more about our Energy Industry team).
Our experience encompasses a wide variety of mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and private placements conducted to finance oil and gas drilling and development operations, a variety of specialized financings, and related projects. Additional experience includes counsel concerning lease acquisition, operations, risk management, government relations and regulation, labor, environmental impact and reporting, and litigation.
The Appalachian Basin has experienced and will continue to experience dramatic growth in drilling to and producing from the Marcellus and Utica Shales. This activity calls for legal counsel with experience in dealing with the special challenges that are presented by this activity.
Members of this multi-faceted group have direct industry experience including as Director of the Ohio EPA, and as General Counsel for an oil and gas exploration and production company with shale development experience. The scope and depth of our experience provides clients another experienced perspective on issues confronting their businesses, particularly in connection with legal services related to shale development.
- Mergers and acquisitions of oil and gas companies
- Asset purchase and sale agreements
- Public and private offerings for drilling programs
- Project structuring for drilling, development and acquisition projects
- Negotiation of lease and farmout agreements; joint operating and joint venture agreements, and drilling and service provider agreements
- Environmental due diligence, reporting and compliance
- Negotiations with and representation in front of regulatory bodies including the federal and state EPAs, PUCO, the Ohio Power Siting Board and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Exchange offers, both private and with the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Negotiation of gas purchase agreements for industrial end-users
- Financings for oil and gas borrowers and companies in connection with senior mezzanine debt financing arrangements
- Tax planning and counseling