Originally built for the East Ohio Gas Company in 1915, it was one of the first buildings to employ first-class fireproof building techniques under the then-new Cleveland Building Code. It was also the first private sector building constructed around Cleveland’s Mall, as part of the 1903 Group Plan. The two-story atrium originally included teller stations, service offices, and a showroom for the latest in gas appliances. By 1927, East Ohio Gas Company was the largest natural gas distributing company in the world.
The local NBC TV and radio affiliates, KYC and WKYC, set up shop in the building from 1967 to 2001. The Mike Douglas show was filmed here for three years before moving to Philadelphia. Throughout NBC’s time in the building, it played host to a slew of public figures and celebrities.