Environmental: Solid and Hazardous Waste
The environmental attorneys at Calfee have wide-ranging experience with solid and hazardous waste issues, laws and regulations. We advise individuals, companies and municipalities on all laws, guidance and issues relating to CERCLA (“Superfund”), unregulated hazardous waste sites, hazardous substance inventories, solid and hazardous waste generation, solid and hazardous waste treatment, disposal and transport, RCRA, underground storage tanks, and all state and local legal equivalents.
In addition to compliance counseling, we also defend clients when they fall subject to CERCLA and RCRA enforcement or administrative actions or RCRA negotiations involving the RCRA Penalty Matrix to reduce penalty assessments.
Examples of our work are listed below. Contact a member of our team for more information on our solid and hazardous waste experience.
- Represented RCRA permittees in negotiations concerning permit conditions.
- Represented RCRA permittees in proceedings before Ohio EPA concerning closure plans and activities.
- Represented RCRA permittees in administrative enforcement proceedings before Ohio EPA and U.S. EPA.
- Represented private parties named as PRPs under CERCLA with regard to various multi-party Superfund sites.
- Represented a publicly traded industrial gases manufacturer in litigation and administrative proceedings relating to a multi-party Superfund site where on-site incineration was a component of the remedy.
- Represented a subsidiary of a major chemical manufacturer in administrative and contempt proceedings brought by the State of Ohio relating to a RCRA closure and groundwater remediation.
- Provided counsel to landfill owners and operators on solid waste compliance matters involving limits of waste placement, cell construction, liner integrity, permitting and disposal practices.
- Represented a closely held coatings company and its principal in a state-led felony prosecution relating to alleged hazardous waste disposal.
- Represented a publicly traded metals manufacturer in a private cost recovery action against a multinational oil company to obtain reimbursement of costs for TCE soil and groundwater contamination remediation.
- Represented manufacturer in a RCRA enforcement case to reduce proposed penalties/fines in negotiations with government regulators using the RCRA Penalty Matrix.
- Counseled various clients on RCRA compliance matters and established RCRA compliance programs for generators and treatment, storage and disposal facilities.
- Represented landfill owners and operators in solid waste enforcement cases in Ohio.
- Represented private parties and local governments with regard to underground storage tank regulation and remediation.