Find a Professional

History

1903: Virginian Robert M. Calfee, a graduate of the George Washington University Law School, comes to Cleveland and forms Bemis, Zizelman & Calfee with two partners. The firm is located in the Old Arcade.

1908: R.M. Calfee becomes a sole practitioner with offices in the nearby Williamson Building.

1909: Joseph G.Fogg, a University of Wisconsin football star who coached briefly at Case Tech, joins Calfee. The firm is renamed Calfee & Fogg.

1916: R.M.Calfee turns over firm management to Fogg. He returns temporarily to Washington D.C. to counsel the inventor of the Lewis Machine Gun, which is manufactured in Europe and used by the allies in World War I. Afterward, he helps to write a new constitution for Czechoslovakia. 

1928: The firm moves to the new Central National Bank Building located on Public Square.

1929: Twenty-three-year-old Edwin G. Halter graduates magna cum laude from the Western Reserve School of Law and becomes a partner.

1938: R.M.Calfee’s son, Jack, joins the firm.

1946: The firm moves to the Union Commerce Building on East 9th Street and Euclid Avenue, later renamed the Huntington Building, home to many other prestigious law firms. Joseph Fogg dies. The firm is renamed Calfee, Fogg, McChord & Halter.

1950: Bruce Griswold, a U.S. Supreme Court clerk, joins the firm.

1951: Securities lawyer Al Sommer joins the firm.

1953: Calfee celebrates its 50th anniversary. The firm has 10 partners and two associates.

1966: The firms changes its name to Calfee, Halter, Griswold & Sommer.

1967: Jack Calfee, son of the founder, becomes Chairman of the Executive Committee.

1968: Robert Calfee dies at 92.

1970: Al Sommer succeeds Jack Calfee as Chairman of the Executive Committee. Calfee now has 25 lawyers. The firm moves to the new Central National Bank building at East Ninth Street and Superior Avenue.

1973: Al Sommer is appointed an SEC Commissioner. The firm changes its name to Calfee, Halter & Griswold.

1975: Ed Halter dies at 69.

1987: Calfee opens a Columbus office to service government relations’ clients.

1989: The firm grows to 131 lawyers.

1993: Bruce Griswold dies at 77.

2003: Jack Calfee dies at 90.

2003: The firm celebrates its Centennial with nearly 200 lawyers.

2004: Brent Ballard is elected Managing Partner. Tom McKee and Tom Wagner are named Co-Chairmen.

2008: Tom Wagner retires and Tom McKee becomes Chairman.

2009: Calfee begins looking for space to practice 21st century law and finds the East Ohio Building. The firm signs a long-term lease to have the building restored as Calfee’s new headquarters. The restoration of this historic building begins.

2011: Calfee opens an office in Cincinnati with former Cincinnati Mayor Charlie Luken and former Ohio Senate President Richard Finan. On December 27, the Cleveland office moves into the new Calfee building.

2012: The Cleveland Restoration Society honors the firm commitment with a Distinguished Restoration and Rehabilitation Award.

2012: The firm forms Calfee Strategic Solutions to provide public affairs services.

2014: The Columbus office relocates to the Huntington Center.