Recent accomplishments in business and commercial litigation include:
- In December 2013, Alex obtained judgment from the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio dismissing all claims against Calfee’s client, a privately held bank, including claims alleging violations of federal banking laws, breach of fiduciary duties, and negligence.
- In July 2013, Ohio’s Eighth District Court of Appeals unanimously affirmed summary judgment in favor of Calfee’s casino client in a highly publicized shareholder dispute. Following an appeal by the losing appellant, the Supreme Court of Ohio declined to accept jurisdiction, resulting in final judgment in favor or Calfee’s client.
- In March 2013, Alex presented oral argument to Ohio’s Eighth District Court of Appeals and obtained a unanimous decision affirming the trial court’s verdict in favor of Calfee’s clients on premises liability claims. The losing appellant appealed to the Supreme Court of Ohio. Following jurisdictional briefing, the Supreme Court of Ohio declined to hear the case, resulting in final judgment in favor of Calfee’s clients.
- As lead trial counsel in June 2012, Alex obtained a unanimous jury verdict in favor of homeowners with respect to premises liability claims.
- In June 2012, judgment was awarded in favor of Calfee’s casino clients on federal and state constitutional challenges to Ohio’s casino gaming legislation. Judgment was subsequently affirmed by Ohio’s Tenth District Court of Appeals. The losing appellants, a national anti-gambling organization and its Ohio members, appealed to Supreme Court of Ohio, and the appellate litigation remains pending.
- In March 2012, obtained judgment for Calfee’s casino client in a highly publicized shareholder dispute involving real estate adjacent to Cleveland’s casino.
- In November 2011, summary judgment was awarded in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania dismissing all nine claims asserted against Calfee’s client, a worldwide snack food manufacturer and distributor. The dismissed claims included federal trademark and false advertising claims and claims for fraud, tortious interference, and unfair competition. Following an appeal by the losing plaintiff to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the case settled at a 97% discount from the plaintiff’s alleged damages.
- In April 2011, obtained judgment on behalf of a publicly traded Ohio bank on claims alleging fraud and negligence. Following an appeal by the losing plaintiff, Alex negotiated a settlement at a 99% discount from the plaintiff’s alleged damages.
- As lead trial counsel in 2010, Alex obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a publicly traded Ohio bank following a bench trial on the plaintiff’s mortgage lending claims.
- In 2010, fraud and conversion claims against Calfee’s client were dismissed on the pleadings prior to discovery.
As a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment group, Alex works with clients on a variety of workplace matters. In addition to conducting on-site investigations into allegations of wrongful employment practices, he represents clients in the defense of claims brought under various state and federal anti-discrimination laws. Alex also defends employers in proceedings before state and federal administrative agencies.
Recent accomplishments in employment litigation include:
- As lead counsel in February 2014, Alex successfully defended a retaliation claim filed against Calfee’s client, an Ohio-based law firm, resulting in the dismissal of the charge by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- In November 2012, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission dismissed charges of race discrimination, age discrimination, and retaliation filed against Calfee’s client.
- In July 2012, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission dismissed a charge of disability discrimination filed against Calfee’s client. The Commission’s findings were later affirmed after a request for reconsideration by the losing claimant.
- As lead counsel in 2012, Alex successfully defended a sexual harassment charge filed by a former employee of Calfee’s client, resulting in the dismissal of the charge by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Commission. The claimant also sought unemployment benefits based on the same allegations. Following a two-day hearing, the Ohio Unemployment Compensation Review Commission affirmed the denial of the claimant’s request for unemployment benefits.
As part of his practice, Alex also represents employers and insurers in litigation involving health care related claims. His experience includes defending claims brought under all sections of ERISA, such as claims for wrongful denial of benefits, breach of fiduciary duty, and for violations of ERISA’s contribution requirements.
Recent accomplishments in health care litigation include:
- As lead counsel in August 2012, negotiated the dismissal of claims alleging wrongful denial of health care benefits, resulting in the payment of zero settlement dollars by Calfee’s client, one of the nation’s largest health care insurers.
Alex serves on the executive council for the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section. He also serves as an advisor to Cleveland-Marshall College of Law’s Moot Court team.
He joined Calfee in 2010 and serves on the firm’s Hiring Committee.